1. Open Excel.
2. Note that there are rows and columns.
- Each column has an uppercase letter that shows which column it is.
- Each row has a number on the left, to show which row it is.
- Each cell is identified by the letter of the column followed by the number of the row. For example, the first cell is A1.
- If you click on a cell, the name will appear column of column A.
3. Click cell A1 and type: Product.
4. Click cell B1 and type: Cost.
5. Click on cell A2 and type: Print.
6. Click on cell B2 and type 80.00.
When you click outside of cell B2, 80 will be displayed in cell B2.
7. Click cell A3 and type: Shipping.
8. Click on cell B3 and type: 75.55.
When you click outside of cell B3, 75.55 will be displayed in cell B3.
9. Click on cell A4 and type: Envelopes.
10. Click on cell B4 and type: 6.00.
When you click outside of cell B4, 6 will be displayed in cell B4.
11. Click cell A5 and type: Total.
12. Click cell B5 and type: = SUM (B2: B4).
13. Click on another cell. The total of 161.55 will be displayed in cell B5.
SUM (B2: B4) is the sum formula. The formulas are used to perform mathematical functions in Excel. It is essential that you put the equal (=) symbol before the formula, so that Excel identifies it as a formula.
14. Click “Save”.
These tips work in Excel 2003 and may also work in previous versions.
Another way to calculate costs would be:
Select from cell B2 to B4.
In the toolbar, click “AutoSum”.
The sum of the numbers you selected will appear.
In order for the amounts in column B to be displayed in currency, follow these steps:
Select from cell B2 to B5.
Right-click on cell B5 and a submenu will appear.
Select “Cell Format”
Click on the “Number” tab
Select “Currency” from the list of categories.
In the “Decimal” field, type 2 and then click OK.
The formatted result will appear.
Things You’ll Need
A computer with Windows / Mac OSX OS
How To Make a Spreadsheet On Excel
Tag: How To Make a Spreadsheet On Excel